In this decisive decade, UBCO is unlocking off-road adventure for more people than ever before – and we are on the cusp of the ride of our lives! Our expanding intelligent electric adventure vehicle (EAV) platform is increasingly being used by a diverse audience anyone from campers, surfers and trail blazers to food delivery providers, urban commuters, and last-minute shoppers. Originating and headquartered in New Zealand, UBCO now has key locations in the US, Taiwan, UK, and New Zealand, and is embarking on a major step change in growth.
The core values at UBCO reflect our beliefs, fundamental driving forces, and priorities. We follow and live by Unlock, Build, Connect and Own.
UNLOCK your potential
As a senior embedded software engineer, you will be taking the lead in the full lifecycle of development for our core embedded software applications. You will work with colleagues in the same team and across departments to build high performance connected vehicle systems. Finally, as an experienced member of the team, you will help guide and mentor other hardware and software developers as needed.
This role has the potential to grow into a leadership position for the right candidate.
OWN Embedded Software
- Design, develop, test and debug embedded systems software for complete vehicle platforms and functional test systems.
- Help to define high level system architecture for vehicle systems.
- Lead the development of firmware for MCUs and SoCs used as the controllers in our systems.
- Contribute to advanced technical research on new technologies.
- Support the development of robust and achievable product specifications, actively bringing their experience and perspectives to the table.
- Partner with software development team to ensure that industry best practice is followed for the software development lifecycle, including dev pipeline and release strategies.
- Assist in software-design and code reviews while supporting other developers on technical issues, design choices and decision making
- Effectively document design to facilitate interaction with other developers, manufacturing partners, QA, and product documentation authors
- Provide ongoing production handover and post-production support with firmware updates and testing
BUILD on your experience
To be successful in this role you likely have:
- 7+ years of proven industry experience and a four-year degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science (or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience developing in C and C++ environments.
- Successfully shipped Bare-Metal, Embedded Linux OR RTOS based embedded systems
- Practical experience developing complex systems from concept through to mass production for consumer hardware.
It would be nice if you have
- Development for closed loop mechatronic control systems including motor drives and live sensor inputs
- Design knowledge of Electric Vehicle (EV) power electronic systems
- Have excelled at a consumer HW startup or rapidly growing company
- Experience with wireless communication principles and protocols: 3GPP, 802.11, and Bluetooth
- Have worked directly with overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Solid understanding of Design For X (DFx) principles, including test, manufacture, assembly.
CONNECT to the ride of your life
- Set your sights high with significant career development opportunities in a company on the cusp of remarkable growth.
- Help grow a meaningful business from the early stages with an ambitious group of like-minded innovators.
- Zip out to the beach, the nature park or up to the shops, on one of our 2X2s from our idyllic location in Tauranga
- Engage widely with our global company footprint, building lasting relationships with diverse, exceptional minds, around the world.
- See your work come to life, being loved, and used in the most unusual places worldwide from the desert to the arctic, and everything in between.
Excellent Compensation and Benefit Package Included.
UBCO is committed to an environment of mutual respect and inclusion, representative of all backgrounds and abilities. We celebrate the differences of our teammates and are a proud ally in our diversity goal as an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions at UBCO are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion, or belief, national, social, or ethnic origin, sex, or gender identity. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please contact our local office.