In this decisive decade, UBCO is unlocking off-road adventure for more people than ever before – and we are on the cusp of the ride of our lives! Our expanding intelligent electric adventure vehicle (EAV) platform is increasingly being used by a diverse audience anyone from campers, surfers and trail blazers to food delivery providers, urban commuters and last-minute shoppers. Originating and headquartered in New Zealand, UBCO now has key locations in the US, Taiwan, UK and New Zealand, and is embarking on a major step change in growth.
About the Position
The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for all aspects relating to assembling electrical and mechanical systems to ensure that UBCO’s customers receive high-quality, reliable, functional Electric Adventure Vehicles. The ideal candidate will meet the following key criteria:
- 5+ years of progressive experience designing, implementing, and maintaining high volume assembly systems for electromechanical and mechanical devices used in a factory setting.
- Strong experience across broad range of mechanical and electro-mechanical manufacturing and assembly technologies
- Excellent Communication (verbal and written) skills
- Ability to interact successfully with suppliers both domestic and foreign
- Participation in technology road map reviews w/ Key Strategic Suppliers and Product Development teams
- Primary UBCO interface providing technical leadership for manufacturing relating to custom UBCO designed components
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving including leading root cause analysis, setting timeline and diligent follow-up to resolve problems & meet product operations requirements
- Strong understanding of the new product development process and ability to assist the development teams during production release.
- Project Management experience managing suppliers during NPI transition in accordance with cost and timing goals and deliverables
- Develop assembly environments and for all mechanical and electro-mechanical systems
- Design manufacturing station hardware (fixtures, jigs, automation) and select instrumentation that balance performance, cost, and speed of development
- Create detailed Manufacturing Instructions to train technicians and line operators on new processes and equipment
- Perform process analysis, DOE, PFMEA, Quality Control plans, line balancing activities, and capacity modeling/simulation (routings, time studies)
- Provide DFM (Design for Manufacturability) input to design team for process and yield improvements
- Lead / facilitate team meetings as required
Requirements and skills
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing engineering or related position
- BS in mechanical, electrical, mechatronics engineering, industrial engineering, or related field
- Design, propose, and Implement Automation and Robotics where applicable for quality, capacity, and efficiency improvements
- Root cause on defect, feedback into design improvements
- ECR / ECN process expertise
- Knowledge of quality standards and regulations
- Great hands-on troubleshooting skills
- Analytical mindset
- Automotive/Motorcycle/Bike industry of working experience is preferred
- Machine design experience – ideally automated manufacturing equipment, assembly fixtures, electrical panel layout, etc.
- Prototyping skills (3d printing, laser cutting, basic machine shop skills, hand wiring, electrical debug)
- Understanding of GD&T / how to read engineering drawings
- Ownership of line capacity and quality
- Understanding of DFM, DF(X)
- Conduct labor time and wait time studies
- Experience applying Lean Manufacturing Principles and Error Proofing techniques
- Experience working directly with vendors for design feedback and quotation
- Experience with motion control and part handling – servos, pneumatic actuators, vacuum grippers, (bonus for PLC skills)
- Must be willing to travel 25% of the time, as required
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive remuneration depending on experience and skill set
- 10 paid Holidays while the office is closed
- 25 days (5 weeks) of paid time off in a year
- Flexible work schedule
- 100% company paid medical, dental and vision insurance
- Company paid laptop
- An office stacked with healthy snacks and drinks
- A chance to test out Electric Adventure Vehicles in the industry
- 401k match, parental leave and more coming this year...
UBCO is committed to an environment of mutual respect and inclusion, representative of all backgrounds and abilities. We celebrate the differences of our teammates and are a proud ally in our diversity goal as an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions at UBCO are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, or belief, national, social, or ethnic origin, sex, or gender identity. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please contact our local office.